OR Nursing Educator - 20-11133 (22521561)
The Nurse Educator (NE) participates in the overall planning, implementation and evaluation of a comprehensive program for competency-based staff education, including department orientation, mandatory education programs, continuing education, and quality/performance improvement activities. The NE collaborates with the Nurse Manager/Director to implement unit-based orientation, educational programming and quality improvement initiatives. The NE works jointly with the nursing staff to determine educational and resource related needs to advance nursing practice and support patient care and education.
- Conducts formal and informal needs assessments.
- Develops, implements and evaluates programs that focus on the knowledge, skills and behaviors needed to deliver evidence-based nursing practice and quality patient care.
- Designs, implements and evaluates educational programs for ancillary staff.
- Participates in planning, implementing and evaluating a department competency-based orientation program for all staff.
- Trains staff on unit specific equipment, computer software applications, and other technology.
- Maintains competence as expert user for department specific equipment, computer software applications and other technology.
- Participates in the development, planning, implementation and evaluation of educational and clinical technologies.
- Evaluates and participates in purchasing teaching materials/new technologies that optimize learning and clinical practice.
- Ensures timely completion of all mandatory training for staff.
- Develops and implements continuing education programs for registered nurses using the American Nurses Credentialing Center criteria.
- Serves as an American Heart Association (AHA) CPR Instructor and provides training for all staff.
- Collaborates with Nurse Manager/Director in planning, implementing and evaluating unit specific education programs and staff competencies.
- Maintain clinical involvement in assigned clinical area.
- Promotes an environment that fosters creative thinking, new ideas, professional growth, adult learning, open communication and collaborative relationships.
- Utilizes a variety of teaching methods to facilitate learning.
- Provides direct clinical supervision as needed to validate staff competency.
- Provides coaching and feedback to staff as needed.
- Participates in unit based QI/safety initiatives as determined by Nurse Manager/Director.
- Uses QI data to determine staff competency needs and improve patient outcomes.
- Engages clinical staff in unit based educational and quality/safety/performance improvement activities.
- Works with Nurse Manager/Director to develop, maintain, and update policies and procedures.
- Collaborates with nursing staff and other health care providers to develop educational materials and resources for staff and patients.
- Serves as a clinical and educational resource for staff.
- Evaluates the ability of staff to assess the learning needs of and teach patients.
- Functions as a role model for professional practice.
- Demonstrates personal behaviors that reflect the standards of excellence in all interactions.
- Supports staff through the change process.
- Participates on Department or Hospital committees and/or task forces as assigned by Nurse Manager/Director.
- Supports the departmental and hospital values and goals.
- Assumes responsibility for own professional development.
- Serves as an educational resource person for educational needs throughout the organization.
- Develops and maintains educational reports required by the department and accrediting agencies.
- Acts as educational liaison between departments to ensure safe transition of patients between units.
- Makes recommendations to Nurse Manager/Director related to budget planning and cost containment opportunities.
- Maintains a flexible schedule in order to meet the needs of staff on all shifts, including weekends.
- Coordinates clinical placements and orientation as assigned.
- Prior teaching experience required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications and other computer skills required.
- 3-5 years current clinical experience in nursing specialty (OR).
- Bachelor’s degree in Nursing required.
- OR experience required.
- AORN certification preferred.
- Master’s degree in Nursing Education or related field strongly preferred.