Director of Cardiovascular and Stroke Services - 20-11693 (22659948)
Reports to the Vice President, Operations. Serves as the leader of a specific service line(s) at Memorial Hospital, providing strategic leadership for the development of the service line such that a full and holistic continuum of services is created and structured in response to customer needs. Guides the development of the overall leadership structure and strategic plan, creates goals and plans for mission effectiveness, for quality and financial management and works to ensure the alignment of the service line with Memorial Hospital and *** (BHS). Is accountable for the overall performance of the service line(s).
The below statements are intended to describe the essential job functions and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by the personnel occupying this position.
1. Provides quality and financial management for a service line(s) by:
- Directing quality initiatives, planning implementation and completing evaluations of indicators and results.
- Utilizing and ensuring continuous quality improvement philosophies, techniques and tools in all aspects of the position that are consistent with the Hospital's collaborative QI plan.
- Achieving financial and market share targets, in concert with the strategic plan.
- Exploring creative alternative care settings to achieve highest possible quality and lowest possible cost (best value) with appropriate utilization, case management and emphasis on prevention.
- Ensuring compliance with all regulating body requirements and standards for areas of responsibility.
2. Provides leadership and effectively fulfills cognitive responsibilities for a service line(s) by:
- Identifying and developing an overall leadership structure and team for the service line(s).
- Developing and implementing a strategic and operational plan for the service line(s). At a minimum, the plan should address: mission, medical staff development issues, social accountability, access, quality improvement, financial performance, market assessment and analysis, human resources and information management.
- Assisting in the development of a structure and framework that integrates physicians into decision making with the service line(s) and significantly involves them in strategic planning and budgeting.
3. Develops and maintains interpersonal relationships by:
- Communicating and relating effectively with all types and levels of people inside and outside the organization; also demonstrating respect for all and building trust.
- Evaluating staff performance honestly, fairly and in a timely manner, with emphasis on specific developmental plans for performance improvement and individual employee development.
- Confronting conflict directly and leading by example to promote an environment in the department(s) and organization that allows for fairness, equity and cooperation.
- Sponsoring *** values through personal leadership and example, incorporating those values into the daily work of the division.
4. Performs other functions to maintain personal competence and contribute to the overall effectiveness of the department by:
- Completing other job-related assignments and special projects as directed.
Education and Experience:
The knowledge, skills and abilities as indicated below are normally acquired through the successful completion of a Bachelor's Degree in Hospital Administration, Nursing, Radiologic Technology or a related field; a Master’s Degree in a similar discipline is required. Demonstrated leadership skills in past positions consistent with and necessary to carry out the mission and leadership philosophy of BHS and the role of the Director are required. A minimum of five years of experience in significant administrative leadership position(s), of which a minimum of three years’ experience in applicable service line(s) is preferred; and demonstrated experience working closely with physicians (especially program development and/or partnerships) is required.
Knowledge & Skills:
Requires ability to analyze and communicate relevant data and uses creativity in planning, problem solving, goal setting and decision making.
Exhibits high energy level; is able to seize opportunities and is also action oriented.
Requires ability to deal with ambiguity, cope effectively with change (can "shift gears" comfortably) and deal with multiple tasks and priorities simultaneously. Also is willing to take risks and to analyze successes and failures for clues to improvement.
Demonstrates managerial courage; also provides direct, current and complete feedback to others. Also demonstrates leadership philosophies which are firmly grounded in a team mentality and approach
Exhibits composure and is poised under pressure. Can manage personal stress and deals with frustration in a positive manner. Seeks to find common ground in confrontation.
Reflects high professional standards in interactions with others ([link removed], fairness, empowerment, tact, motivation, etc.). Listens and values other points of view or opinions. Promotes integrity and trust.
Recognizes needs of subordinates and provides resources to facilitate goal achievement.
Works in an office environment.