RN, Mental Health - 022494 (22734738)
Position is located at South Bay Correctional and Rehabilitation Facility
This position assists in providing psychiatry services within the facility and is a member of the multidisciplinary treatment team in providing information related to medication response, health status and observed behaviors.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares the daily call out list; pulls charts for providers; ensures ordered lab work has been completed and filed and prepares charts with required paperwork.
- Completes required data entry into the client system for every patient that has contact with psychiatric clinician.
- Works closely with the clinician to ensure that the AIMS is completed as required for inmates who are prescribed antipsychotic medication.
- Ensures clinician orders are carried out; signs off orders, generates medication administration records, schedules lab tests, performs EKGs and schedules follow-up appointments.
- Files completed paperwork (evaluations, AIMS, medication consents, etc.) in the appropriate place.
- Ensures medications are discontinued by the psychiatric clinician when patients refused medications.
- Monitors labs and refers patients to appropriate providers.
- Participates and contributes to the development of individual treatment plans and attends the weekly multidisciplinary team meetings.
- Responsible for monthly reports via computer database to the client and employer.
- Ensures patients receive a 30-day supply of medications upon release from facility.
- Responds appropriately to negative findings from client and internal audits with timely CAPs.
- Completes intake and admission paperwork for actively suicidal patients.
- Conducts specific daily mental health screening on suicidal patients and communicates observations to providers.
- Monitors patients for extrapyramidal symptoms and gives emergency medications if ordered.
- Supervises medication compliance to oversee the general health and well-being of the patient and assures referral to the provider when the patient misses prescribed doses as required by policy.
- Observes patients for signs of disorder or tension and reports such observations to a higher clinical authority. Strives to build collaborative relationships with the patients; educates them about their treatment plan.
- Provides medication education including importance of compliance as needed.
- Responds to patients in crisis using active listening and de-escalation techniques to help patients regain emotional control and composure.
- Provides counseling in accordance with the team’s treatment plan.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s or bachelor's degree from a NLN (National League of Nurses) approved program; graduate of an accredited school of nursing required. Must have a current, unrestricted license to practice as a Registered Nurse in the state the facility is located.
- Maintains current copy of license on file at the facility.
- Must have previous experience in the management and treatment of mental health patients.
- Two (2) years of direct work experience preferred.
- Must possess competence in the performance of the following services: crisis intervention, medical emergencies, physical assessment, medical and psychiatric nursing care.
- Must have the ability to work without direct, immediate supervision in performing nursing diagnosis, and be able provide appropriate follow through treatment.
- Ability to work with computers and the necessary software typically used by the department.
Equal Opportunity Employer