Registered Nurse, Psychiatric - 022708 (22734739)
Position is located at Central Arizona Correctional & Rehabilitation Facility
This position evaluates and treats inmates demonstrating signs of mental illness by initiating and providing comprehensive nursing care while observing and maintaining the requirements of operational security.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures the implementation of physician's orders. Ensures that prescribed medications are administered as ordered using the formulary. Applies knowledge of drugs and therapeutics in dispensing medication.
- Makes observation rounds on patients, and records in progress notes. Evaluates symptoms, reactions, and progress of patients on periodic basis, charts, and reports problems to management.
- Maintains security while dispensing medications and is continually cognizant of the potential hazard of drug hoarding and trafficking among detainees/inmates. Maintains noninvolvement in the security aspects of care.
- Destroys and properly disposes of all needles/syringes.
- Prepares regularly scheduled reports and special reports as necessary.
- Maintains compliance with industry and company policies for accreditation.
- Documents all detainee/inmate contacts. Maintains confidentiality of medical records.
- Evaluates all patients referred for presence of mental illness.
- Refers patients as necessary.
- Provides emergency psychiatric care as required.
- Provides in-service education for medical and correctional staffs as requested.
- Documents all services provided in the patient’s medical file.
- Participates in review of the quality of care provided.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s or Bachelor's degree from an approved program; graduate of an accredited school of nursing required. Must have a current, unrestricted license to practice as Registered Nurse in the state the facility is located. Maintains a current copy of license on file at the facility at all times.
- Two (2) years of direct work experience as a Registered Nurse preferred.
- Must possess competence in the performance of the following services: crisis intervention, medical emergencies, physical assessment, medical nursing care, and psychiatric nursing care.
- Must have the ability to work without direct, immediate supervision in performing nursing diagnosis, and be able provide appropriate follow through treatment.
- Ability to work with computers and the necessary software typically used by the department.
Equal Opportunity Employer