RN-Operating Room-Up to $5k Sign-on Bonus (Evergreen) - R526 (22746791)
Within the RN scope of practice as defined by the Oregon State Board of Nursing, applies the nursing process to the care of patients. Teaches patients and significant others. Documents patient care in the medical record. Collaborates with the interdisciplinary team to effectively coordinate overall care of the patient.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Functions as circulating nurse or scrub nurse, as appropriate
* Manages patients undergoing moderate sedation, including medication administration, monitoring, routine and emergency airway management
* Prepares Operating Room for surgery
* Reviews provider’s preference card, confirms all necessary instruments, supplies, and equipment are available
* Opens supplies and instruments using aseptic technique; checking for package integrity, expiration dates and indicators
* Performs counts with scrub technician
* Administers medications aseptically to a sterile field
* Transports patients to the OR and Post Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU) to give report and finish documentation as needed ? Stays with patients to assist with induction anesthesia
* Provides physical and psychological comfort and support to patients
* Sees patient in pre-op area for assessment and interview, reviews chart/consent and checks for surgical site markings
* When patients are stable and anesthetized, positions the patients, applies warmers and preps the surgical sites while maintaining patient’s privacy
* Monitors draping to make sure all areas are covered with sterile drapes
* Initiates surgical safety checklists and procedural timeout
* Connects all equipment and cords ? Completes all necessary documentation ? Continues to monitor surgical field, anticipates needs of surgical team, confines and contains sponges in sponge counter (as applicable; assesses patient for urine output, thermal considerations, etc.)
* Assists and facilitates room turnover
There are various openings within this department.
Specific shift/hours will be determined at time of offer.
Days Shifts: 0700-1930
Night Shifts: 1900-0730
Varied Shifts: Varied Hours/Shifts
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
•Must be able to take call nights, weekends, and holidays on a rotating basis; must be within 20 minute travel time to hospital
• Able to read, write legibly, and converse effectively in the English language.
• Exhibits critical thinking and problem-solving skills
• Flexible, able to prioritize and adapt to rapidly-changing patient and unit needs.
• Demonstrates effective teaching skills.
• Responds effectively to patient crisis/emergency situations
• Proficient in use of computer, including accessing internet, word processing, and documenting in an electronic medical record system.
• Maintains regular, consistent and punctual attendance at the assigned job location
• Licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse in the state of Oregon
• American Heart Association Healthcare Provider Basic Life Support (BLS) or must be obtained by the last day of the month after the 60-day grace period American Heart Association Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) or must be obtained by the last day of the month after the 6 month grace period
• Graduation from an accredited perioperative program preferred
• CNOR preferred
Recent (within past 5 years) acute care hospital experience preferred Operating room experience within past two years or graduation from an accredited perioperative program preferred
Union Affiliation: ONA
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and job skills required.
• Able to sit, stand, walk, bend, squat, reach, and stretch frequently
• May be required to lift up to 50 pounds
• Must use standard precautions due to threat of exposure to blood and body fluids
• Needs ability to communicate effectively through reading, writing, and speaking in person or on telephone
• Requires frequent use of personal computer
• Must demonstrate manual dexterity