- Up to a $15,000 Sign-On Bonus
- Benefits Eligible
- Expert Pay
- On-Call Rotation
St. Louis Children’s Hospital is dedicated to improving the health and lives of children. As one of the top-ranked children’s hospitals in the country, St. Louis Children’s provides care in more than 50 specialty areas through a dedicated team of physicians, nurses, staff and volunteers. Along with inpatient and outpatient medical care, the hospital offers education, wellness and injury-prevention programs to fulfill its mission to “do what’s right for kids.”
Providing comprehensive, high-quality care and serving as an advocate for children has been St. Louis Children’s commitment since its inception in 1879. Today, the hospital serves patients and families across a 300-mile service area, and has seen patients from all 50 states and more than 80 countries.
St. Louis Children’s consistently ranks among America’s Best Children’s Hospitals by U.S.News & World Report in all surveyed categories. In 2021, St. Louis Children’s was one of eight children’s hospitals to rank in the top 25 of all 10 specialties. The hospital’s academic and physician partner, Washington University School of Medicine, is one of the top-ranked medical schools in the United States. Since 2005, St. Louis Children’s has been designated as a Magnet® hospital for nursing excellence from the American Nurses Credentialing Center® (ANCC).
Provides direct patient care activities including assessment, diagnosis, planning, implementation, and evaluation within guidelines for standards of nursing care to inpatients and outpatients in the perioperative environment established by AORN.
- Educates patients and their families about the communication process during the procedure, what to expect, and any support resources, as appropriate. Serves as liaison between physician and the patient and family.
- Demonstrates competence and independent practice in roles of scrubbing and/or circulating for all HSO-defined surgical services.
- Uses established safety techniques in preparing for and assisting with surgical procedures; provides and sets up necessary instruments, supplies and equipment for different types of surgeries or procedures according to established safety requirements and preferences of physician.
- Keeps patients safe from adverse events associated with surgery/procedure, including but not limited to: infection, burns, pressure ulcers, wrong site surgery, etc. Has knowledge of wound stage classifications. Observes patient during procedure to detect possible complications and/or breaks in sterile technique; furnishes emergency equipment and supplies to prevent adverse outcomes. Preserves and labels operative specimens for analysis.
- Participates in activities that promote safety, quality and regulatory compliance. Participates in professional development and life long learning. May participate in orientation and preceptorship of new staff, as needed.
- BJC has determined this is a safety-sensitive position. The ability to work in a constant state of alertness and in a safe manner is an essential function of this job.
- Diploma or Associate's Degree in Nursing
- 2-5 years experience
- Registered Nurse (RN) license
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing
- Perioperative 101 certification course
- Perioperative Nurse (CNOR) certification
Note: not all benefits apply to all openings
- Comprehensive medical, dental, life insurance, and disability plan options
- Pension Plan*/403(b) Plan
- 401(k) plan
- Tuition Assistance
- Health Care and Dependent Care Reimbursement Accounts
- On-Site Fitness Center (depending on location)
- Paid Time Off Program for vacation, holiday and sick time
*Pension does not apply to Memorial Hospital, Memorial Hospital East, Alton Memorial or Parkland Health Center
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Equal Opportunity Employer