Answering the call to serve all in our care with Christ’s love
CRISTA Senior Living exists to enrich lives through intergenerational community living, where our residents, their families and our staff encounter the love of Christ, allowing Him to enrich mind, body, and soul.
Connecting & celebrating generations through grace, compassion & inspiration.
Senior Living has been part of King’s Garden/CRISTA since its earliest days. In 1948, founder Mike Martin negotiated with the King County Board of Commissioners to lease the former Firlands Tuberculosis Sanatorium grounds for use in his ministry to teens from broken homes. As a condition of the lease, the county required King’s Garden to establish a “rest home” in order to help support the ministry while meeting the county’s need for senior housing.
Senior Ministries was formally established in 1950 when King’s Garden was granted a license for 20 patient beds. One of the existing Firlands buildings became the first home for senior residents in what would grow to become CRISTA Senior Living. By 1956, the number of licensed beds had grown to 98, and Senior Living originated the concept of levels of care.
The Crest Apartments were completed in 1964, adding 24 living units for relatively independent residents. In 1965, a new convalescent care infirmary was constructed, later renamed Poplar Court. Construction of the Royal Apartments in 1968 added 24 more independent units. Including both the Silverdale and Shoreline campuses, CRISTA Senior Living now serves nearly 700 residents
In 1969, Senior Living planned an expansion to accommodate 225 licensed nursing beds and seven distinct levels of health care. By 1974, three new buildings had been constructed, including a new Nursing Care Center. In 1975, the original “rest home” building was renovated into 30 studio apartments and renamed the Ambassador Building.
Cristwood Park opened in 1984 with 199 independent apartments. The Good Samaritan Fund, a benevolent fund which assists residents who have outlived their resources, was also established in 1984. Over the past thirty-three years, the Good Sam Fund has provided over $2.5 million in confidential resident assistance.
In 1985 a former convalescent unit was renovated into 16 assisted living studios, transforming Senior Living into a true CCRC, offering three distinct levels of care: independent living, assisted living and skilled nursing care. Thirty more assisted living units were added in 1991 through the renovation of a former nursing wing. By 1992, Senior Living included 277 independent apartments, 46 assisted living units, and 176 skilled nursing beds. Thirty-five more assisted living apartments were added to the Shoreline campus in 1998 in the new Chestnut Court building.
CRISTA’S first off-campus expansion of its ministry to seniors was initiated in 1992 when the Board approved the purchase of an 8.5 acre waterfront site in Silverdale, Washington. The new facility, named Crista Shores, was completed in 1994 and features 99 independent living apartments and 58 assisted living units.
Including both the Silverdale and Shoreline campuses, CRISTA Senior Living now serves nearly 560 residents: roughly 135 assisted living residents and 420 independent residents. Of the more than 2,000 CCRCs in the United States, CRISTA Senior Living is among the top 150 largest multi-site organizations.